Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Button reluctant to commit


Jenson Button insists he is happy at McLaren but that he doesn't want a long-term deal © Sutton Images
Enlarge
Jenson Button is reluctant to commit himself to any team long-term, after Martin Whitmarsh said he wanted to retain him for "the rest of his career".
Button's future has become the centre of speculation as he remains the only driver from the top four teams without a confirmed drive for 2012. A clause in his contract for next year needs to be activated by both parties, and Button has previously said he wants McLaren to take up the option as soon as possible. After Whitmarsh said Button would be remaining with the team, but that it wanted him to sign an extended deal, Button said a secure future wasn't what he was looking for.
"I would love to stay here, yes," Button said. "I'm not trying to position myself with other drivers coming out of contract. The simplest thing would be to sort out next year, then we can sort out the rest later this year.
"I don't feel I need to secure my position for the long term. I'm not at the start of my career so I don't feel I need that. It's nice to be in a position where, if you don't feel right and don't want to go racing any more, you can stop."
With Mark Webber and Felipe Massa out of contract at the end of 2012, speculation is growing that Button wants to be available as a free agent at the same time, but he insisted a move to another team was not his intention.
"Would I retire happy without driving for Ferrari? Yes."

ESPNF1

No comments:

Post a Comment